The thing is I always assume my parents don’t understand the problems I face in my thirties and it’s usually easier to disregard their advice anyway. Some things don’t really change, right? Sure, the ‘rents are experienced and knowledgeable and have my best interest at heart, but they had children and a house and a normal life when they were my age. Wow.
- My hotel is quaint, simple, and in the middle of nowhere. If you write like me, you need less distraction and more nature. And you need to feel at home, but with the refreshing feeling of somewhere new. This did the trick. www.Roughleymanor.com
- If you want to be skinny, there’s no room service, no minibar, and therefore no temptation. To be fair, I have no self control and every time I went to the 7 11 in town, I’d get lots of water and some chex mix and forget I was supposed to be getting real food. And at night I ordered chinese food delivery – it was gross and no fortune cookies. How can you have Chinese food w/o a fortune cookie?! Yuck. But amazing for the diet.
- A hike like mine above is strenuous, so it gets you out of your head…and when doing our best writing we have to let the mind wander and allow the creative genie smack it in.
- That brings up another point. 2.5 hours away. Quick trip for a vaca! On the drive make a good mix and think about the writing. Or don’t think and let your subconcious start the process.
- Skinny girls – you get a strenous hike in the heat. My muscles shook by the end and I got a tan, which always makes us look skinnier. (And all that matters is having everyone in LA think you went to the bahamas) Moment of truth: Yes, I rolled up my shirt to get tummy tan. And when I passed the old couple I didn’t have to pull it down – they had their wrinkles and I had my tummy pouch, it’s all the same.
- Paul, the masseuse. I have to give myself presents for writing well and on Day 2, I got a massage. He has a techinique I’ve never heard of, but I felt my muscles relaxing even an hour after. Oh, and I couldn’t eat afterwards either (skinny girl here I come!) and I to top it off, I slept like a baby.
- Sammy the dog! I can’t bring BettyWhite because if I write too long she gets jealous of the laptop and wants attention. Or, she wants to help and tries to sit on me so she can pretend to read and type along with me. It all sounds cute, but that’s precisely the problem – 4 hours later I’ve gotten up 17 times to get her treats, throw toys and walk her. Here, little Sammy comes to see me every day and gives me doggie time until I decide enough. Then she moves on to another guest.
- Almost forgot 2 other things I love and left aside for my genie in Joshua tree. BlackBerry and Wine. Forgot my charger so I have to turn on my car when I want to charge my blackberry(and it doesn’t go long). And, no blackberry helps me be observant like a writer…? The wine I actually went and bought but havent had the urge to open it.
Skinny girls that’s right – No booze – you lose (lbs that is).